Sunday, July 15, 2012

Learning how to cook w/ a healthy state of mind.

Hello blog readers,


As the rest of my week has gone by, the weekend came and I was able to incorporate the veggies, fruits together to continue with my newer healthier diet. I feel like my stomach is getting back to normal and I'm no longer suffering from constipation. I know, TMI but it's the reality of eating after a fast. I tried to decide when is the best time to juice and I think what I decided is to juice in the evenings. Make a true mean green and have it at night with dinner. Since it states that drinking juice fresh after it's made. It's easier to do that in the evening, vs. making it at night and drinking the next day. 


Avocado Mango Salad
While on my fast, I searched for recipes that i could make for lunch, dinner etc. What I found is that there are many recipes out there for anyone's pallet. It's not hard to change the habit. It's doing your homework before and executing it afterwards. My first recipe I tried was the Avocado Mango salad. It's a simple recipe and you can make changes to it as long as you keep it healthy. Here is a picture for you to see. If you think about what your eating, avocado has folate which is responsible to reducing the risk of heart disease. The mangoes have vitamin A, and many flavanoids, that can help prevent cancer. Tomatoes have lycopene; lycopene is a vital anti-oxidant that helps in the fight against cancerous cell formation as well as other kinds of health complications and diseases. It also contain tomatillos, which contains small amounts of anti-oxidant vitamins like vitamin A, vitamin C, and vitamin E. Further, the berry consists of flavonoid anti-oxidants such as ß-carotene, zeaxanthin and lutein. These compounds posses antioxidant properties and, together with vitamin A, are essential for visual health. In addition, Vitamin A is also required for maintaining healthy mucus membranes and skin. Consumption of natural vegetables and fruits rich in flavonoids helps to protect from lung and oral cavity cancers. I also put a diced apple to give it a crisp sweet flavor. Lastly, I added a teaspoon of sunflower oil and salt & pepper to taste and there you have a super-food salad. 


Super booster Pizza
That's recipe will be in my diet for life, it's a great salad option. For dinner, I made a "Super Booster" Pizza. Check this picture out! This so good. Who knew how to make a pizza so healthy! This has 1 not so healthy item. The Sun-dried Tomato tortilla (Big Woop,) the rest is healthy. I put Roma tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, caramelized onions, balsamic marinated portobello mushrooms (my booster food,) feta cheese, fresh basil leaves, and mozzarella (Use very little.) put in the oven and in less than 10 minutes. I had this delicious, very healthy pizza. I became determined to create more things for me to eat that tastes great and good for me. 




I saw another recipe from the Join the Reboot website and decided to try it out. This is called the "Apple Baked dish" take a look. I decided to make this dish in a cupcake fashion to create small portions. I didn't add the raisins and almonds like the recipe stated. I added pine nuts instead. I added cinnamon and nutmeg. Put them in the cupcake dish and in the oven. Forty-five minutes later my house smelled like I was baking a pie and this is what came of it. These were delectable treats that I can eat in the morning, or a mid-day snack when I'm craving for a sweet. What I'm going to try is creating this into a muffin-like item but make it a healthy muffin (No wheat or gluten). Not sure if I can do it but I will try and by trial and error I will find a way to make this a amazing muffin with all the taste but not all the calories. It will be super food, just wait! 
Apple Baked dish
My next dish was one for the books. I wanted to try fish again, but wanted to do something different. I made a paste with Miso, put in on the fish as a baste and put Panko flakes for the crust of the fish. Baked it and for sides I made my Whole Foods version of Cabbage Crunch and used the left over of the Avo-Mango salad, and this is what I got. My plate was perfectly how I wanted it: 1/3 fish, 2/3 veggies. This is how one should eat. I didn't even care to have any rice or some type of carb on my dish. The panko was enough to satisfy the carb intake. It was a great dinner. My husband enjoyed it too. I guess cooking healthy has become my calling. As I continue to find new veggies to use. I will continue to cook better for me and for anyone that is looking to make that change. Stay tuned as I will be trying to eat meat. I'll let you know how that goes. :) Good night everyone.


JC

No comments:

Post a Comment